Another year, another Daisho Con in the books! I had a lovely time. I learned from last year’s mistake and did not schedule anything for any particular time in order to minimize the anxiety I get trying to get into cosplay. (I am very slow at cosplay makeup, so not having a deadline removed a ton of stress) That being said, boy did the weekend fly by. I feel like I didn’t have enough downtime to chill with my friends, and our schedules didn’t always align, which was a bummer but no one’s fault. I didn’t go to any panels, but I rarely do. I didn’t even make it to the vendor hall till the last day. The new layout with the convention center expansion was cool but the vendor room still needs a little work. The artist alley aisles got really congested really quickly. Still, it was a marked improvement over last year and I hope the con continues to improve and find ways to better use the space.
I loved seeing a lot of cosplay friends I’ve met through Instagram. (And quite the accomplishment for one as introverted as me) All told, it just feels like I didn’t do a whole lot before the weekend was over. I did get some killer pictures of two of my favorite cosplays- my old standby, Haruko from FLCL, and a dream debut of Sesshomaru from Inuyasha. I’m so grateful that my boyfriend is patient enough to help me get around with my cosplays and be my personal photographer. He has a really good eye. And I think my editing is starting to improve.
That being said, I’m ready for a break. I love cosplay and I’m sure I’ll always participate in some fashion for a long time yet, but I can’t see myself doing another big build like Sesshomaru anytime soon. I always underestimate how complicated these builds will be and they never get done on schedule. I was supposed to have it completely finished by Halloween so it wouldn’t interfere with my participation in NaNoWriMo. But work was so hectic in October with working six day weeks, I didn’t make it. Then, since I had underestimated its complexity, I tried to do the build and NaNo and ending up having to almost drop NaNo entirely and still ended up finishing the build the night before the con. Never again. I can’t be both a writer and a crafter. They both take up way too much time on top of working full time. I can only do one- and I know that. I want to focus on writing. Which means cosplay has to be shelved for a while. And I’m fine with that! I have plenty of costumes I can re-wear if I want to go to a con, plus I love just running around and taking photos. I’m sure I’ll get bit by the build bug again someday, but writing has to come first if I want to seriously pursue my dream of being published.
So while I’m very proud of my cosplay this past weekend, I’m ready to switch gears. NaNo was bit of a loss, though not terribly surprising given my track record. I’ll still write the rest of the week for whatever its worth, but it just means I need to work that much harder in December. I want to get my book ready for querying in the new year and I’m honestly excited to get to work. I refuse to be discouraged or down on myself anymore. It doesn’t accomplish anything. I can’t change the past, I can only focus on moving forward.
Well, hello there.
It’s almost the end of the month and I haven’t written a new post. That’s probably because every time I try to write something, I lose interest half way through and delete it. It’s pretty annoying. So I’m going to try something a little different. Gonna hitcha with some quick round-ups. Annnnnd go:
- Loved it (No surprise)
- Didn’t hit the waterpark?! (surprise & travesty) Will rectify next year by booking an extra night
- Tried to split my time between cosplay and photography to mixed success, but I did learn some important lessons
- Loved the few models I had a chance to shoot with
- Very ready to try my hand at photography again
Here’s some of my fave shots from the weekend. The ones with me in them were taken by my ever patient and very helpful boyfriend (who’s not too shabby behind the lens himself) and I still did the edits.
NaNoWriMo & My WIP
- Made it mmmmmm maybe a week into NaNo before I had an existential breakdown about my career, my talent (or lack thereof), my future (also a little shaky), and my life in general, so I decided I wasn’t going to wrench blood from a stone. But it has a happy ending as a recent development at work (an upcoming promotion and solidified career path) have quelled that fire and I am ready to get my head back into a productive/creative space.
- Hoping to start editing my WIP again this week (maybe even tonight!) and resume some kind of schedule toward completing my rough draft. Will I finish by year’s end as I originally set out to? Highly unlikely… but I guess we’ll wait and see.
Currently Obsessed With
- Castlevania (I’m almost finished with season 2 and LOVING it)
- Voltron (halfway through the last season- digging it. Shiro & Keith are faves)
- Diablo 3 on Switch
- Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu (how many Pokemon can you ride and why is each one more hilarious than the last??)
- Throne of Glass (Just started but had to take a break to read a book for book club this week- will resume this weekend)
Want to Watch
- She-Ra! (everyone is talking about it and I neeeeeed to watch it)
- FLCL Season(s) 2 (I never sat down and gave them a proper viewing and it’s giving me heart palpitations)
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (heard good things- very much my aesthetic)
- The Solo movie
- Incredibles 2
- MBMBaM TV Series (I’ve only seen bits and pieces and it’s an actual crime)
Want to Play
- The Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Will wait till I finish my current game backlog)
- Fallout 76 (Waiting till the servers stabilize and to see if anyone’s even still playing in a month)
- Civ VI (I want to buy it right freaking now but I still have so much to play!)
- Moonlighter (Bought it but couldn’t figure out the interface- will revisit when I need something new to play)
- I might finally host my second episode of Monster of the Week if nothing unforeseen postpones it again
- I’m day-dreaming about running a D&D campaign
- I’ve committed to going to Gen Con next year!
- I can’t wait till Christmas
I’m working six day weeks through the holidays and will continue to do so afterward until we find a replacement for my position. I’m in dire need of the OT but a little bummed by the lack of free time. Hoping it’ll pay off in the end!
And I think that’s all I got. I’ll try to have a more coherent and interesting post next month…but no promises. ;p